How to Troubleshoot HP Printer Problems in Windows 10
Using a printer that is connected to Windows 10 is simple and does not require elaborate procedures. But, just like with any other printer or device, there could be issues that one might face while using the printer. Setup of the printer can take place in a matter of minutes when it comes to setting up and installing a printer driver.
The key here is to have the right instructions and to complete the steps accurately as instructed in the guidelines. Troubleshooting has never been easier. As changes are taking place and improvements are being made in the technology used in printers and Windows devices, it’s making them better.
Follow the steps below to tackle some of the common issues a user would face as the owner of a printer connected to a Windows device.
Check the cables and network connection
This is one of the common printer problems one might face while using a printer. Complete a few checks to ensure that the printer is connected properly to the network.
- Complete a quick check to ensure that all wires and cables are intact.
- This might seem like a simple issue, but most of the time, this is the cause.
- Ensure that the cables are connected firmly at both ends.
- Check if the USB cable that is connected to the printer is firm.
- Ensure the same for the device. Check the connection.
- Replace the USB if necessary, if there is any damage.
Another issue that often occurs is network connection issues. Complete a few checks to ensure that these issues are eliminated and the printer can be fixed to begin functioning again.
- Check if the printer is connected to a wireless connection.
- Run a check on the wifi connection.
- The connection should be stable and active.
- Check the speed at which the network is operating.
- If this is the first time setting up the printer, check the router’s compatibility.
- Note that the printer and the device should be connected to the same wireless connection.
- To rectify the issues, restart the wifi router and the device.
- Check connectivity once again. If the issue persists, connect to an alternate connection.
- This will help identify if the issue is with the printer or the device.
Install any printer drivers that are missing.
Printer drivers are often another reason why one might face issues with a printer. To resolve these issues, a few checks and remedial measures will have to be conducted. Generally, updating the printer driver should solve the issues, but at times, other measures are required to be taken as well.
- Move over to the Windows 10 device and open the Settings app.
- From the Settings app, choose Drivers, followed by Printers & Scanners.
- On the screen, locate the + icon that indicates “Add a Printer or Scanner.”
- Give it a few seconds, giving the printer time to scan for files.
- Once the scan is complete, the printer name will not appear on the list.
- Choose the option “The printer that I want isn’t listed.”
- The next wizard box, “Add Printer,” will allow the next steps to take place.
- Choose “Add a Bluetooth, wireless, or network discoverable printer”.
- Follow the instructions as given and select Device Manager.
- Locate the printer and right-click to update the printer driver.
- Complete the automatic search and update it.
These changes should allow the user to begin using the printer without any issues. But, this is only if the issue was with the driver. If the printer continues to fail to complete the checks, then the issue is not with the printer driver.
Make the printer the default printer.
When a Windows 10 device is connected to multiple printers, there is a high possibility that an issue might occur. Ensure that the printer that is often used is set as the main default printer to avoid any complications. Complete the steps below to resolve the issues with the printer and set it as the default printer.
- Open the Settings app on your Windows 10 device.
- Choose Devices, Printers & Scanners and scroll down.
- Locate the option that indicates “Allow Windows to manage my default printer.”
- Locate the printer and choose the Manage option.
- Select “Set as default” and apply the changes.
- Complete the process by conducting a quick printer check.
Run the Windows 10 Troubleshooter
Another simple way to resolve printer problems is to run a troubleshoot. If problems with the printer continue to prevail, then it is vital that troubleshooting be completed to identify the issue.
- Open the Settings app, choose Update & Security and Troubleshoot.
- In the troubleshooting section, select “Get up and Running” and tap “Printer.”
- Choose “My printer is not listed” from the options given on the screen.
- Follow the instructions given on the screen and allow troubleshooting to identify the issues.
- The same will be applied, and all the changes will be made, and the printer will no longer face issues.
These issues that prevail are common printer issues that will occur at some point in time. The key element to managing printers connected to Windows 10 is understanding the basics of troubleshooting. With the correct instructions and the right direction, the printer issues no longer prevail. This will allow the printer to be used without any hassle.
Should there be issues while troubleshooting the printer, there is an option to contact us to assist in rectifying and troubleshooting the issue that is prevailing in your printer.